Ribbon of darkness

I was sitting in a neck of the wood coffee shop when a familiar face came to say hellowearing a grey top and dark leggings and white Nike sneakers. She had no make-up on her baby face and her hair was drawn back in a ponytail. It was almost four years since we last met with her and hubby and she appeared to be very calm and confident. However her sign of emotion as she sat across were clearly opposite of the person i knew back then. Of cause just like all female friends do, her first question was whether I’ve gotten someone to keep me warm or I’m in the process of processing a damsel for eternal companionship. Well, I reminded her that I’m a million times more controvert about relationships and marriages than ever before. That made her ask what are the secrets of maintaining such life and what she could do to live like me….couldn’t help but laugh. Politely, i asked why would a married woman seek such path and visibly, her beautifully manicured hands trembled as she spoke about her ordeal not from fear but rage of how she’s been betrayed. She narrated how around summer last year, she discovered that her hubby and partner of 12 years had been unfaithful.Before then, she had noticed some odd behavior from her husband but didn’t think too much of it at the time. Sometimes he would come home, and head straight to the bathroom where he would stay for even two hours. Every now and then he would have the jitters and was a little off. That trend of behavior triggered her to dig deeper about what could be the issue and day after day, plenty sickening facts emerged, she engaged the hubby and that is when she realized that their marriage was over and because the hubby was so embarrassed all his college-grade moves have come to light, he would pack up the family home and go his separate ways. She didn't hold back when describing the separation from her hubby."It was fucking hell. I was shitty when my marriage ended, a shadow of my former self," the 29-year-old said.”I had depression and anxiety because of what was going on."

It was an emotional and heart-wrenching experience for everyone involved but it hit her very hard. At that time, the last thing she would have wanted to do was to let the world know about it. Initially, she faced decreased mental and physical health, financial problems and emotional torment while ending a marriage. But since January this year when divorce was concluded, she say divorce has been empowering and liberating and its a rebirth not woman out there should fear. The gorgeous lady said things are much better for her today, she has her own house, finances, and own plans. When she was married what was hers was him and what was him was hers. He almost bankrupted me and quit his job, refused to work and never picked up after himself. It was like I was living with a teenage lover and he made me the sole breadwinner. I tried to make the best out of a bad situation and support him but he was already focused on other women. Now I know why Contador Harrison hates marriage with a passion and I really like the peace of mind of not being married as well but I need a few more tips from you, she said cheekily. Parenting my way and not being incapacitated by a man who is supposed to love me but is really just using me has been a great achievement for me in 2018. I've always been independent and done everything for myself and don't need a man at all, although I might like to have one in my life, she added. I've grown as a woman hugely, the friends I've made, the opportunities I've had and my career has taken off because I've had the time and energy to devote to it. I'm healthier because now I like to keep in shape and I don't have anyone else I have to fit in with, she concluded as downed our cappuccinos. She ended by saying some women remain bitter and angry and not willing to let go and I wouldn’t want to callthem fools but they have mentality of it's everybody else's fault and is often the case when a married woman is left for another woman. That just shatters their self-worth, its a ribbon of darkness, she said.Her story is just an addition to why i’ll die without ever getting married, for those is that ancient institution built on lies, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully you reach that light soon by getting out den of stress, don’t be fooled that marriages will ever change. This article first appeared here 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To secure Africa’s future, there’s need to reduce deforestation’s emissions

Social media helping East Africans stay appraised

ICT is a catalyst for innovation in Africa